A catalogue of the manuscripts at Ashburnham place.
|Main Author:||Ashburnham, Bertram Ashburnham, Earl of, 1797-1878.|
|Related Names:||Libri, Guillaume 1803-1869., Thompson, Henry Yates 1838-1928.|
London : Printed by C. F. Hodgson, 1853.
Manuscripts / Great Britain /
In 1884 the Italian government bought all but 100 of the Libri manuscripts and deposited them in the R. Biblioteca mediceo-laurenziana at Florence. The remaining 100 of the Libri manuscripts and 66 of the Barrois were turned over in 1888 to the Bibliothèque nationale, having been proved to be manuscripts stolen from French libraries. The Bibliothèque nationale also bought 69 manuscripts at the auction sale of the remainder of the Barrois collection June 10-14, 1901. The "Appendix" was bought by Henry Yates Thompson in 1898, and after some of the manuscripts had been selected for his own collection, the remaining 177 were sold by auction May 1st, 1889.
The Stowe manuscripts were purchased from the estate in 1883 by the British museum, the Irish manuscripts being transferred to the library of the Royal Irish academy at Dublin. The British museum issued a catalogue of the collection in 1895-96.
Includes, in addition to the collection known as the "Appendix", the Libri manuscripts, bought by Lord Ashburnham in 1847, and the Stowe and Barrois manuscripts acquired in 1849.
43 x 27 cm.
|Locate a Print Version:||
Find in a library
|Item Link||Original Source|
|Full view||Cornell University|