Shakespeare's plays with his life : illustrated with many hundred wood-cuts, executed by H.W. Hewet, after designs by Kenny Meadows, Harvey, and others / edited by Gulian C. Verplanck ... with critical introductions, notes, etc., original and selected ; in three volumes.
|Main Author:||Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.|
|Related Names:||Verplanck, Gulian C. 1786-1870, inscriber., Thomson, E. H. 1810-1886, former owner., Knight, Charles 1791-1873., Collier, John Payne 1789-1883., Hewet, Henry W. , Verplanck, Gulian C. 1786-1870.|
New York : Harper & brothers, 1847 [i.e. 1844-1847]
The text is based on Collier's; the notes, etc., selected from Malone, Singer, Collier, and especially from Knight's pictorial edition, from which most of the illustrations are taken.
each separately paged, without continuous pagination.
Issued in parts, most with wrappers having title: Harper's illuminated and illustrated Shakespeare. The fascicles, though numbered, were not intended to be bound in numerical order. The order prescribed by the publisher and printed in the table of contents (v. 1. p. [iii]) is that followed in the LC copy; Verplanck, however, urged (v. 1, p. xiii subscribers to arrange the plays--within the three groups, Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies--in the order of their composition. To this end, the plays are
Each volume has added, engraved, t.-p.: The illustrated Shakespeare ...
The first American illustrated Shakespeare. Complete sets of this, the only printing, are scarce due to destruction of the plates in Harper's 1853 fire. Cf. Westfall.
3 v. :
ill., facsims., ports. ;
|Locate a Print Version:||
Find in a library
- Full viewv.1 (original from University of Michigan)
- Full viewv.1 (original from University of Iowa)
- Full viewvol. 1 (original from Princeton University)
- Full viewv.2 (original from University of Michigan)
- Full viewv.2 (original from University of Iowa)
- Full viewvol. 2 (original from Princeton University)
- Full viewv.3 (original from University of Michigan)
- Full viewvol.3 (original from Princeton University)