The Bannatyne manuscript, compiled by George Bannatyne 1568 ...
|Main Author:||Bannatyne, George, 1545-1608?.|
|Other Authors:||Panton, George A. , Murdoch, James Barclay. , Scott, Walter, 1771-1832., Laing, David, 1793-1878.|
[Glasgow] Printed for the Hunterian Club, 1896.
> To 1700.
English poetry > Middle English, 1100-1500.
English language > Middle English, 1100-1500 > Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.
Issued in 11 parts, paged continuously, with special title-pages dated 1873-1900. Vol. 1, containing prefatory matter, consists of pts. VIII-X; pt. XI consisted of title-pages, contents, etc., for the 4 vols.
Editorial work begun by Geo. A. Panton, who died when only the first two sheets had been printed. The work was completed by J.B. Murdoch. cf. Introductory note, v. 1, signed: Jas. Barclay Murdoch, December, 1901.
From the manuscript in the Advocates' library, Edinburgh, which "constitutes with the 'Asloan' and 'Maitland folio' manuscripts the chief repository of Middle Scots poetry, especially for the texts of the greater poets Henryson, Dunbar, Lyndsay and Alexander Scott. Portions of it were reprinted (with modifications) by Allan Ramsay in his Ever green (1724) and later and more correctly, by Lord Hailes in his Ancient Scottish poems (1770)" cf. Encyc. brit., v. 3, p. 353.
Includes several poems written by Bannatyne himself.
4 v. in 1.
illus., pl., XI facsim. (2 fold.)
|Locate a Print Version:||
Find in a library
- Full view2 (original from University of Wisconsin)
- Full view3 (original from University of Wisconsin)
- Full view4 (original from University of Wisconsin)
- Full viewv. 1 (original from New York Public Library)
- Full viewv. 2 (original from New York Public Library)
- Full viewv. 3 (original from New York Public Library)
- Full viewv. 4 (original from New York Public Library)